Friday, April 12, 2013

Week 3: Ruffle Curtains

I found some white ruffled fabric in Hobby Lobby that I fell in love with. I knew I could use it to make some adorable curtains.

The only thing holding me back was the price.  At $10.99 a yard and needing 2 1/2 yards (to make the floor length curtains I originally planned to make) even if the fabric was on sale for 40% off I was still looking at spending $16.50.  Which I realize is still very cheap for curtains but it was a little more than I was wanting to invest in a project that I wasn't completely sure I could pull off or what like the finished product, even if I could.  Then last week I found 1/2 a yard in the remnants bin for $2.74.  At first I thought I would just buy it to play around with and make sure I could execute the curtains the way I wanted.  I cut the width of the fabric in half and was able to make two panels and I started to have a vision for how I could make the curtains out of just the remnant fabric.  Since it wasn't long enough I added some of the red polka dot fabric I had left over from the bulletin board project to the top.  I pinned it first before sewing the pieces together but decided I actually liked the way it looked with the pins.  I felt like it gave it an unfinished craft in progress look that worked since it is a craft room.  Then I worked with different ways to attach the panels without having to use a curtain rod (since that would be an added expense).  I took off the piece of trim that covered the top of the blinds and used clothes pins (continuing with the unfinished project theme) to attach the panels to the blinds. They aren't what I originally had in mind but for $2.74 I think they turned out pretty darn cute!

No comments: