Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pretty, Pretty Peacock

I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to do a peacock themed mantle for the summer.  I was so excited to take down my Spring/Easter mantle though that I couldn't wait to get started on it.  So I decided just to go for it.  I'm sure I'll think of some other way to decorate my mantle in a few more weeks.  But right now I'm SO in love with this one!  Take a look!

The large peacock feathers came from Hobby Lobby.  The green and blue flowers I had left over from my niece's Candyland Adventure party

The blue glass vase I also got at Hobby Lobby for 40% off of $7.99!  The flower arrangement were also pieces from London's Candyland party.  Because the flowers were so bold and glittery I felt like they needed a vase that was a litle neutral.  I didn't have anything like I was wanting so I wrapped one of the cream colored vases that I used in my Winterscape mantle in a brown napkin and tied it with a silver ribbon.  The candles were the same from my Easter mantle.  I tied a brown ribbon around them and secured it with a decorative tack.  The candle is an old cream colored one that I had some discoloration on it.  I put a coat of glitter on it and then hot glued green/blue glass pebbles on it.
I also created a candle from another old discolored candle that I had.  I hot glued a green ribbon on it and then glued turquoise sequins on it.  The plate came from Wal-Mart and was only $1!  I used blue/green glitter glue to decorate it with swirls.  The candlestick holders were clear glass ones I had bought at the Dollar Tree a few years ago.  I painted them with Topaz metallic craft paint.


I'm so happy with how it turned out!  I reused several elements from my previous mantlescapes so it was a very affordable mantle.  The only two things I purchased were the peacock feathers, the blue glass vase on the end, and the blue/brown vase pictured above from Kirklands (on clearance for $4.99).  I feel like this mantle is the perfect punch of color balanced with the rich, dark browns that I love so much.
Linking to:
Show and Tell GreenTransformation Thursday
Photobucketgiveaways
Make it Yours @ My Backyard EdenThe Girl Creative

12 comments:

{oc cottage} said...

LOVE those colors!!!


m ^..^

shannon said...

oh I just adore feathers! Darling! I hope you will swing by for a visit. I am having a Spring related blog party that starts tonight.

Lisa B. said...

I love turq with brown! Wonderful look.

Jess said...

I love peacock feathers right now! If you are interested, I would love you to post this on my Favorite Things Friday party!

shannon said...

I am so glad you joined the party! Did I mention that I love feathers?

Kate said...

Blue and brown is one of my favorite color combos right now.:)


Thanks for joining my Flaunt it Friday party! Hope to see you next week!! :)

Titti @ Shoestring Pavilion said...

Love all the colors on your mantle! Especially the glitzy turquoise plate - great job. I too love anything that glitters - will have to look around here to see what else you have :)

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Gorgeous colors! What a great idea!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day!

Krista@RustikChic said...

I love those colors and the feathers! Great job mixing things you already had...love that! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following:) I'm going to browse around yours some more!

Leah said...

Neat Stuff! I saw a peacock at the zoo today...should have grabbed a couple feathers, darn!
Thanks for playing Toot Your Horn Tuesday!

Jess said...

Thanks so much for linking to Favorite Things Friday!

Room to Inspire said...

It is a beautiful mantle - growing up we had a "neighborhood" peacock - I know, crazy right? and I have always been so fond of their lovely feathers! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today - when you get a chance please add a link back to the party! Thanks, Chelsea