Monday, May 24, 2010

Baby Love

Its been a long time since I've posted anything on here!  I've had a little time to get a few projects completed but with working 2 jobs I just haven't had time to post any of them!  But I made a few things for some friends of our's baby shower last weekend and wanted to post them real quick.  I'm on a pretty tight budget right now but really wanted to give the expactant couple some cute things so here is what I came up with and how much each of them cost, in case you're on a budget and want some ideas too:

Sock Cupcakes:  A friend of mine posted some pics of some sock cupcakes that she had made a few months ago and I've been dying to give them as a gift ever since.  I think they are so cute!  The package of socks was $6, the cupcake liners were $1.50 (and I still have about 140 left), and the box was $2.50 (1/2 price last week at Hobby Lobby).  Total cost=$10.  These don't take very long to make either!

Monogram Onesie:  I'm a sucker for cute, monogrammed onesies.  But they can be so expensive at boutique shops!  So I decided to create my own.  The onsie was on clearance for $1.  The rhinestone "J" is an iron on transfer from Hobby Lobby (so easy!) for $.99.  The ribbon is from Hobby Lobby and it has elastic in it so it has a little give ($2 during 1/2 of ribbon week, I think).  I used Aileen's Fabric Fusion glue to glue it to the onesie.  Total cost of project-$4.  This one takes a little longer because gluing the ribbon is very time consuming.
I made a similar onesie for a co-worker's baby shower a few weeks ago (and was in such a rush to finish it I forgot to take pics) only I didn't do the trim around the front and arms.  Instead I bought some of the hair ribbons that have the little "bird beak" clip (I have no idea what its really called) and clipped them to the shoulders of the onesie.  It was also really cute and way less time consuming.
Diaper Cake:  I've made about a million of these now but I still have fun doing it and they never cease to get a favorable reaction.  I'm not thrilled with how this one turned out but, like always, I was down to the wire on getting it finished and didn't have time to do some of the final touch ups that I wanted.  The instructions on these are a little lengthy so I'm not going to post them but it anyone wants to know how to make it just e-mail me or leave a comment and I'll be happy to share.  The package of diapers was $8.97 (I only use Pampers Swaddlers because they have the softest look to them and its easy to hide the design on them.  Also, I don't ever use Newborn size diapers b/c a lot of babies are born too big to fit into them.  I only use size 1 or 2).  The ribbons are an assortment from Hobby Lobby and they were all 1/2 off.  I already had the polka dot ribbons.  The toile ribbon was $4.  The thin pink and brown ribbons were $1.99.  The wide pink ribbon was $3.50.  I have a lot of all of the ribbon left.  The feathers were also 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby and cost $1.99.  The J is from the unfinished craft wood section in H.L. and was $.99 (and I HATE how the damask fabric I covered it with looks on it.  I think it looks like camo).  The damask fabric came from the remnant bin at H.L. and was $2.  I used a paper plate as the cake board.  So the total cost was about $24 and I still have lots of ribbon left to use for other projects.

I've got several more projects that I've done around the house lately and hopefully I'll get a chance to post some pics of them soon.  But until then, at least I managed to get these up!  :)
Linking to:
The Girl Creative
Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden
NightOwlCrafting

7 comments:

Donene said...

very Cute Ideas for baby gifts!!

brandi @ tales of a domestic goddess said...

i love the onesie. i'm fixing to get a new niece, so of course i'm going to have to try them out!

brandi@blakadomesticgoddess.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

these are great ideas! I'm going to bookmark them for future parties.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Absolutely darling!! We are having a Baby Week at Oopsey Daisy and celebrating with a link party. Would love for you to link this up!!!

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/05/baby-week-and-link-party_05.html

Have a great day!
~Alison

Unknown said...

I LOVE the sock cupcakes! How cute would those be surrounding a diaper cake?!?

Leslie said...

What cute baby gift ideas! I love all of them! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Room to Inspire said...

What adorable baby gifts! Those sock cupcakes are simply too cute - thanks for linking up to Be Inspired last week.

Chelsea